Wednesday 25 February 2009

Missed payment

I had a vodafone corporate connection in India for 18 months. When i moved to UK, i completely forgot about the connection. But the legal department in Vodafone did not forget me :(

The first missed call came yesterday at 7 AM when i was getting ready to work. Very few people in India know my UK contact number so i thought that it must be one of my friends ringing me to let me know their new number or something. I was busy getting ready to work so i thought of giving a call once i reach office. After 10 minutes, i get a sms stating "Karthik, call me back" - no name mentioned. I call back this number and a guy picks up the call and says my full name. He then introduces himself as a guy from Vodafone legal department. He says that i have an outstanding bill of something more than a grand and i was supposed to pay it by 4 PM (3 hours notice period) else my name would be handed over to the police. I told him calmly that i am in UK and i cannot make a payment by 4. He then asks me for my credit card details so that he can take the payment. I refused to give him my credit card details and said that i will make the payment. Then i asked him how he got my number and he said that he had got it from my parents.

This gentleman had called up my parents saying that he is a friend of mine who had worked with me in my previous company and that he needed my number urgently. I made the payment through internet transfer on the same day
Today, The hutch guy gave me a number of missed calls between 4 AM and 6 AM . He then calls my parents and threatens them with police action. I called him back once i reached office and explained to him that i have made the payment and that he will get it either today or tomorrow. When i questioned him about his behaviour, he just cut the call.
When i am at fault for defaulting the payment , the way the so called legal department guy behaved was utterly ridiculous
1) He claims that he had sent two legal notices to my mailid which is not active. He would have got back a message stating that the id is not active. He has my parent's address, why couldn't he post the bill to them??? He was able to call them and get my number - why could not he have done this???

2) What was the need to lie to my parents about being my friend. If he is calling from the legal department he has all the rights to tell them the truth and demand the money? Why follow a third rate approach?

3) The guy works for vodafone - a leading mobile service provider and he gives missed calls from his number !!!

4) What was the need to threaten me with legal action the first time that he is speaking to me?

5) When he very well knows that i am in UK, why does he give me missed calls at 4, 5 and 6 AM?
I had mailed across a complaint to vodafone about this...lets see what happens.

No comments: